View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Well said, your whole post.

I think if you start a shopping list, the actual cartridge should be further down the list as well.

The intended use will lead you first to the bullets you want to shoot...if that intended use is both game and long range it narrows things down further as you'll be looking at b.c. AND s.d. and also weight, plus size of big game intended. If you don't reload and would like to do things factory then it narrows down even further...aka hornady lol.

But seriously, once you figure out what you're shooting at and how far you want to shoot it, and how hard you want to hit it, THENNNN you choose the bullets that will best suit (factor in b.c., s.d. weight, design type you prefer etc.), THEN you can start doing the math on how much powder it's going to take to get you there which is the same as figuring out which cartridges best suit all your intended goals. That's how to shop for your next rig imo.

I don't use ft/lbs in my shopping personally. I use min impact velocities for the types of bullets i prefer...more frangible, high b.c. and high s.d. so my maximum distances will be a little further but doesn't matter as i compare the same way across the board. I'm looking at max distance capability for say a deer if needed. I generally prefer amax, ballistic tip type frangibility and 1600 fps min impact for shopping requirements. Everyone will have slightly different requirements here...this is my personal rules to compare and shop.

In those rules a 6.5 grendel 123 gr comes aweful close to running with a .308 win 168 gr with half to 60% less recoil. It'll go 600 yards to my specs just as the 308 load does.

The creedmoor adds 200-250 yards to the grendel, we know it does similar to a 300 win mag rather than comparing to a .308....it blows the .308 out of the water using those rules.

The prc adds another 2-300 yards again over the creedmoor. Choose your needs and figure out how much recoil and muzzle blast etc. you want to live with to do it. If you're only going to shoot to 300 yards on game as so many do...you'd get by with a grendel just fine even though it can still dial a deer up at 600 and make that eld-m do what it needs to do, coyotes beware...dial your azzes up to 800 no prob . Nobody will recommend a 6.5 grendel for much past 400 because of the ft/lbs rules but i just don't suscribe to those. I suscribe to bullets min impact velocities, if your s.d. is high enough for the game chosen you're good to go. Nothing burning as little powder as the grendel has 3rd class game approved s.d.'s so it's maybe not just be a 400 yrd deer gun, elk/moose (no different than anyone who's only used .243's for everything, the grendel should match no prob) too and several elk etc. have fallen in those ranges from little i've seen on net but no matter, math is there to support. The creedmoor is more versatile as it'll do it 200-250 yards further and with a bit higher b.c. and s.d. again (140 gr), it is the choice for the masses and most versatile for most needs from hunting/long range shooting, and the prc does that again, 2-300 further with a bit higher b.c. and s.d. (147 gr).

Some people just like to hit things really hard too, so will choose a prc even though they never will shoot anything past 300 yards. That's ok. I personally wouldn't put up with the recoil and blast unless i wanted to go 1200 yards...then i'd look at the prc. 5-600 grendel no sweat, 6-800 creedmoor no sweat, 1000-1200...prc.
WoW ! You really have things figured out.

If you find time, try some of this stuff in the real world and let us know how it goes.