View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Nice For Calgary to get a new arena, but ... Why is it that these NHL franchises (and I do mean all of em) can't seem to make enough money to build their own arenas? Not trying to pick a fight, just a dead serious question. I am pretty sure Katz could have paid for the Edm. arena all by himself but he went begging for taxpayers money like all good NHL owners seem to do. "Gimme money, Or I may have to move this loser franchise elsewhere". It's as if Bombardier has a major stake in all NHL franchises.

Also why is that this arena (Saddledome) had such a short life span? The Leafs played in MLG for 67 yrs in a building constructed in the 30s! The Bruins were in the Garden for same 67yrs ,The Habs in the forum 72yrs The Flames in the Saddledome 36 yrs with a major reno 10 yrs into it? Is the construction that bad these days?, was it planned by Edmonton's city council? I don't get it.
The city benefits from large arenas. They are smart so they pick up part of the tab. But these large complexes hold many events which in turn draw people to Calgary or wherever, to throw money around the city.