View Single Post
Old 03-30-2003, 01:05 PM
Skulls

Default Skulls

I have done quite a few skulls. Currently I have about 25 coyotes to do. I do as you have mentioned, clean off as much meat as possible, then boil and clean off as I go. It usually takes quite a while, up to eight hours of boiling to clean completely. Note: if boiling from the frozen state, let them thaw out before boiling as the skull will split, and sometimes the teeth do as well. Also, boiling too long, as I often do, does cause these same problems.

Once this process is complete pull teeth that did not fall out and clean the bases, as there is significant meat here. Carefully glue teeth back in...this is a challenge when doing more that one skull, and the teeth are not interchangeable, it's like a puzzle.

Finally, I put them in a hydrogen peroxide/water mix. You can buy 25% HP at the health food store but that stuff is deadly. One drop on the skin and the skin is dead. It must be dilluted with water, or just buy 3% in the big jugs. The more dilluted the longer it takes to whiten the skulls. About 3 days in 3 % works, but careful not to do it too long as the skull will weaken.

Finally, remove and rinse. Allow to dry. I have never seen a mount for a skull, all of mine are on a shelf as is. The extras are given to schools, kids, etc. The 25 this year are just to remove the canines and make a chain...something different. The canines of a coyote are about double the size of what is exposed!