View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 11:11 AM

Exclamation Test drove a 2018 F150 Diesel over the weekend

I met up with a Ford Dealership Owner a few days ago and asked him what he thought of the new 2018 3.0L diesel. He said he had put a few thousand km on his, and absolutely loved it. Good power, great mileage, creature comforts to no end. He offered me a brand new black on black Platinum for the weekend, who was I to say no??
I have never driven a Platinum before, but have a 2016 Eco-boost 3.5 Lariat. Nothing really has changed between the 2 platforms, everything was basically the same. The only differences were minor sewing in the leather, a badge denoting Platinum on the seats which have massage, collision avoidance and adaptive cruise which mine did not, plus this truck has a 10 speed trans where mine has 6.
My 2016 has everything else exactly the same.
The engine is very quiet and the driving modes are instantly noticeable. I was on 'eco' 95% of the time, wanted to really find out what this little beast would get for mileage.
At the end of the weekend I had averaged 8.8km/100 by the math filling to the neck, just like before I took it.
I drove exactly the speed limit, coasted to stops and did not jackrabbit race to get to speed.
The truck was very comfortable, and handled well.
But, for $85,000.00 I just had zero interest in trading up.
My 2016 was $65,678.00 in 2016 and now with just over 40,000km the hit would be too high for the little amount I have used mine in almost 3 years.
I can not see how anyone can justify $85,000.00 on a half ton grocery getter with a 5' box.
They are claiming 12,000 lbs towing capacity, but I think if you have to pull that much weight you have to have a 1 ton in front of it, for the stopping power. I refuse to have something behind me dictate how I am going through corners or to a stop.
Nice truck, price is insane.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....