View Single Post
Old 11-09-2021, 07:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ Yep. They are there though. Just a matter of finding one. Also, at this point, they have been hunted for over 2 months. Many have probably been taken. The rifle season has been open there since September 1.

Lack of access adds another level of challenge because everyone who hunts the 520 drives the same roads and trails. While it is a pretty great area, access appears to be very limited. Isn’t a problem if a guy is walking. But then you compromise on distance covered and can hit only one or two of those “moosey” areas in one trip. The fact that the East Haul Road is a wildlife sanctuary corridor doesn’t really help either, lol.

Also, just like it happened with the grouse yesterday: while I could limit out in no time (less than an hour, probably) the day before when I didn’t have the rifle as there were dozens of them everywhere, I haven’t seen one I could shoot at yesterday, lol. I bet you I can go and find a moose tomorrow where I usually hunt. If I draw my tag next year, it’ll probably be longer than a day, lol. Funny how that works.

Not sure what plan is for next trip yet, which may be tomorrow (fingers crossed).
Carry a crossman pellet pistol for those grouse encounters
https://www.crosman.com/product/cros...an-classic-177
Works wonders at 10 yards...trust me and many times the birds just walk around wondering why Fred is breakdancing so you get a few more too.
Another thing I do is when leaving an area I will call well past sunset just to see if someone will come in and check the area during the night...next day get in to the area under darkness and watch the world come alive then start calling again you might find a bull that was curious from the night before close by.

Good luck

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...