View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
Sorry, in what way is this information BS?

I cant speak from experience in Elk (do not weigh live or rail weight in my elk) but I can speak for for beef and Battle Rat was darn near bang on his first estimate.

For grass fed yearling hfrs, my experience has been that hanging weight averages 50-52% of live weight and cut and wrapped meat is roughly 59-65% of hanging weight (which is extremely variable depending on cuts selected). This means that cut and wrapped meat typically ranges between 27-32% of live weight.

To the OP, keep in mind there are different ratios for steers, feedlot fattened and selected cuts for Beef and will be no different for cow/bull elk, age, cuts etc. Just keep in mind that there are certain ranges that are probably acceptable or expected.

DR
Yup. Every animal is different just like every cutting list. There are industry standards for beef etc. But as was said - a feedlot fatty vs old cow??

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff