View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 03:50 PM

Hydrostatic shock is

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
Hydrostatic shock from a high speed bullet is responsible for major tissue damage and hemorrhaging. The pressure wave created in the liquid filled tissue when the bullet is expanding and ripping through the flesh is very intense and does major damage. Much of the kinetic energy in the bullet is released in the animal as hydrostatic shock. The faster the bullet and faster expansion of said bullet will produce more hydrostatic shock damage. Actually bullet penetration and direct bullet damage is more function of bullet weight, speed, and type. If the bullet stops in the animal all the kinetic energy is released into that animal in one form or another.

All those who do their own butchering see this shock damage clearly as a bloody jelly like smag surrounding a large area were the bullet has traveled through the flesh. It can be considerable. My friend who shoots a 308 is always amazed by the shock damage that my fast .270 130 grain bullet does to a deers rib cage as opposed to his 308 180 grain bullet. Both are effective but my faster bullet causes more hydrostatic damage it seems. Many times I have seen the entire heat lung area completely blown to a soupy smag by my bullet, especially if it hits a rib on the way in and basically blows up internally creating a hydrostatic explosion.
Handguns bullets cause less of this effect because their velocity is much slower than rifle bullets. That is why the original article posted in this thread concludes that penetration and placement is critical. Animals still die because of tissue and organ damage as well as blood loss so placement is critical but hydrostatic shock damage helps this process greatly.
Archers don't get the benefit of hydrostatic shock and relay on the broadhead damage alone to do the killing by hemorrhaging alone.

Did you throw this in for funny stuff, or do you really believe it?

Gotta ask...

If it is in jest,.. I love it!!!!

Just goes to show the info and misconceptions that are out there...