View Single Post
Old 05-28-2016, 05:29 PM

I too have been scammed on here for $1500 recently.

In hindsight, everything is 20/20, but I feel ashamed to admit it. Similar story, IP was from B.C, fake PAL, fake details, and questionably fake pictures. Similar Outlook email.

Few things I've learnt, although I remain hesitant to buy anything sight unseen anymore:

1) We all don't like giving out personal information, but generally we're all in this together. I'll gladly provide other forms of identification to others for peice of mind. Ie, I just purchased an Accuracy International on CGN and we both shared our drivers licence, etc. The seller ended up being awesome and restored some faith for internet purchases.

2) Get a picture of the PAL/identification WITH the item being purchased. Search the pictures on the internet to make sure they aren't fake. You can do searches and check picture data (google it) to find out what it was taken on, when, and sometimes location data. Free programs check this. If they don't match the sellers location, buyers beware.

3) Don't trust emails like HOTMAIL and OUTLOOK. These e-mails dont share header information which restricts IP tracking which can then be used to find exactly location of user.

4) Talk to the seller by getting a phone number.

Any seller thats honest will provide more details to prove purchase is legit. I'm asking for it now and will have no reservations if others ask me.

With today's technology there are also PLENTY of ways to contact a person. Doesn't hurt to double check PAL identifcation by sending a message to their facebook account, etc. The seller could easily verify this way. Another simple step which makes fraud more difficult.

If the OP has the IP of the user, I'd be interested if you could share it with me.