View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 10:38 AM

When I had my 7mm STW it shot the 162 gr Hornady SST really well...excellent accuracy and really good velocity. I tried the 150 gr range of bullets in a 270 WSM and just couldn't get the velocity I wanted without signs of pressure. I also think 150 gr is just a bit heavy for the 1:10 twist rate to give really great accuracy in my rifle. The 130 gr bullets give you the MV, but have relatively poor BC's. I can't load the really long bullets like the Burgers, they won't fit unless seated deep into the brass and pressure gets up again. I thought the 145 gr ELD-X would be a good compromise. Pretty good MV and the ability to hold it over a long distance because of the excellent BC's. Problem is it's so new there is no load data. There also seems to be a significant velocity difference between 130 gr bullets and 150 gr bullets from what I've read. I was hoping the 145 gr might be the perfect compromise and work with the 1:10 twist rate.
I should never have sold my 7mm STW, but it was heavy and long, and I'm no spring chicken any more.