View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 08:26 AM

Default New Rifle Stock - What has Worked For You?

Hi all,

Looking for some opinions on rifle stocks as I am in the market for one for a project I’m going to be starting this winter. Here’s the story.

I inherited a rifle from the father in law. It’s a Sako L61R action. It is chambered in 7mm STW. The round count is very low. Between 20-40. He couldn’t remember he exact number. It has a 26” heavy barrel on it. It is a very nice set up. However the stock on it is rough. The butt plate has being removed and misplaced over the years. I’m looking to make this rifle for shooting long distances. Will mainly be a bench gun but will be taken into the field on occasion once it is shooting good.

I’m looking for opinions on stocks geared towards longer range shooting. I have checked out Boyds AT-One platform. Has anyone ever tried one of these? I have also looked at McMillan stocks. Checked out many of their tactical stocks. I liked the A-5 and A-3. Has anyone tried these stocks? Finally, are their shy Canadian brands out there that would be worth looking into? Would rather buy a Canadian product rather then pay the exchange rate.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to getting some experienced opinions.

DR