View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I'm not an expert by any means, but have shot quite a few animals over the years.

Seems to me, particularly on deer, if you are using a fast cartridge (like in my case a 257 WBY) you have to go up in bullet weight to avoid massive meat damage on those shots where you may not get a good look at the sweet spot (quartering towards you as one example). Just so much energy and speed there if you hit some shoulder it's going to be carnage (even on shots out to 200 yards). Unfortunately it took me a few deer and an antelope to figure this out.

Sure you have to load up what shoots well, but you have to consider grain weight if you are shooting something like that (fast) and really think about what you are shooting.

I literally went back to my .308 after that and there was significantly less damage (obviously going up 40-50 or more grains in bullet weight).

I don't know if that make logical sense - but that's what I saw anyways.
Bullet construction is even more important than bullet weight. A monometal like the Barnes TTSX typically does far less damage than the Ballistic Tip.