Thread: Arbor press?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 02:21 PM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Sinclair's is 109.99usd so about $150cad, plus duties shipping etc

Damn this dollar
Yup,I can get a Lee CC press for about the same cost and do everything else Qwert mentions below.The 6.5 CM Wilson inline seater is just a hair too long for my RC Supreme using 143 ELD-X's.
Wilson also makes Microtop dies for a standard press but I like their inline's,in a pinch you can also seat bullets by hand using them.
In the end though ,an Arbor press is more convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
The Lee Classic Cast press has a 1 1/8”OD hollow ram with 1”x20 threaded ID to hold a standard / universal shell holder adapter (or 50BMG shell holder) in the top of the ram.
The frame top is threaded 1 ¼”x12, and comes with a hard bushing for 7/8”x14.

IMHO, they are a VERY good design, and have a 4.5” tall opening that will handle seating long bullets in long cases (like 338LM & 50BMG) and Redding Comp seaters with fully guided case holders.
(The RCBS classic has a 1” OD ram and 3 5/8” high opening; the RCBS Supreme has a 1” OD ram and 4 ¼” high opening)

I like the CC well enough to sell all my Lyman and RCBS presses and purchase several CC, which I have fixed to my work station and mounted on flat plates for portable use clamped to any solid surface.

I turned several custom ram heads for Wilson dies and other tasks.
The custom ram heads have different lengths and head shapes.
A 2” dia flat surface is handy for holding lead muffins for hardness testing.
I made the ram heads in various lengths to best position the available leverage.
A true arbor press will have more consistent leverage throughout its stroke, but I suspect my setup has more force available in a smaller area of its total stroke.

I have faced both ends of 7/8”x14 & 1 ¼”x12 gr8 bolts to thread into the top frame of the press.
Similar gr8 bolts were bored for specific needs like punching BP wads and push through boolit sizing.

A lathe is a very handy tool.

Good Luck, YMMV.