View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Some of the finest people I know are recovered addicts and alcoholics.
I did use the term ‘some’ but the ‘some’ I was referring to were the ones who turn to crime to support their habits. I think that there are way more alcoholics and drug addicts who manage to feed their habits without turning to crime than there are who commit break & enter and vehicle theft and such. It is the ones who create a wake of victims behind them to which I was referring. I’m sure there are stages too, where an addict might not steal from strangers but will steal without hesitation from their family or employer, somehow justifying it to themselves that they deserve it. Or ones that steal from businesses like WalMart as shoplifters, but would not do a residential B&E. Everyone’s morals are different. My original reference was about the junkies who have reached the stage where they are willing to run over police or the public in stolen vehicles in their futile quests to escape lawful capture. The junkies who break into homes and steal vehicles. I’m not sure if any of your friends were at such a stage but that’s the stage where my sympathy for their humanity wanes. I can sympathize for with the ones who mostly victimize themselves (and by extension their friends and family) so long as they don’t commit felonies. Felonies and where they endanger the lives of others are where I cease to care for their humanity and simply view them as vermin.

Of course there are the lighter stages of addiction, we’ve probably all known people who drank excessively and weren’t in control of their lives, or people who are incapable of going out for drinks without reaching the level of being a staggering buffoon.