View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 02:21 AM

Default Moose roar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
Hi all, long time reader, first time poster.

This past weekend I was hunting in WMU 530, bull moose tag. We had called for a few hours in a small clearing the first night, no replies. The following morning I was sneaking out to call again, overlooking a small willow type swamp, and I had to cross through some thicker timber to get there. It was just after light and I was standing at the edge of the timber getting ready to move into it, just listening for movement/moose noises. suddenly about 30 yards in front of me, very loud, very intimadating roaring started, along with excessive and loud breaking of large sticks, branches, and trees. I stumbled backward to find some cover, flipped my safety off and got ready for whatever was barreling toward me. Then it stopped and I heard a few very audible bull grunts, and realized it was a bull moose. Never got a look at him and only heard him once more a few days later.

I've heard bulls make a coughing sound and grunt, but never heard one roar like that morning! Safe to say I almost needed new hunting pants. It was almost like a bear roaring, been hunting for 15 years and have never heard that.

Anyone else ever have a similar experience?
Iceberg: I have just returned form bow moose hunting in Ontario where I had a similar experience. After an initial call I had three bulls reply: One regular grunt (passive and in front),one agressive grunting (coming fast from left, crashing trees and splashing through water) and the roarer (behind and to right). The one from left appeared to be mid-40's (inches) and came in straight at me to nine yards before stopping - no clear shot, and front on. When it stopped the roarer seemed to get annoyed and after one of it's minor routine roars it let out a roar like nothing I have ever heard. Just tremendous and maybe 5 to 7 seconds long. This was my 18th moose hunt and I have never heard anything like that roar moose hunting or anywhere else. I figure he was 50 to 75 yards away.

The moose in front of me actually flinched, turned (literally on-a-dime) and started leaving the way it came, without providing a shot, head somewhat down. At this time I heard something large stampeding towards me from behind. Turning, and expecting for a split second to have to shoot (cross bow) in self-defense, I saw a large cow and calf round the corner at 15 yards. Fortunately, the cow saw me turned and reversed course, at which time I returned to the bull. He was 30 yards out, pretty much ass to me - no shot. I managed to stop him with a cow whine but he only looked back briefly and resumed leaving, sorry but you are not worth it. And then it was over!

For the next hour I heard the roarer (minor roar) every 15 minutes or so and then very carefully exited. I will never forget that roar. Truely amazing.

I was later told by members of the group that a few years prior one of their hunting party had a moose roar and trash branches at him, in the dark, at 20 yards. He left the woods, pale-white and speechless. He did not return for the hunt again.

Respect the Moose! Good Luck. dboard3