View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
Hi all, long time reader, first time poster.

This past weekend I was hunting in WMU 530, bull moose tag. We had called for a few hours in a small clearing the first night, no replies. The following morning I was sneaking out to call again, overlooking a small willow type swamp, and I had to cross through some thicker timber to get there. It was just after light and I was standing at the edge of the timber getting ready to move into it, just listening for movement/moose noises. suddenly about 30 yards in front of me, very loud, very intimadating roaring started, along with excessive and loud breaking of large sticks, branches, and trees. I stumbled backward to find some cover, flipped my safety off and got ready for whatever was barreling toward me. Then it stopped and I heard a few very audible bull grunts, and realized it was a bull moose. Never got a look at him and only heard him once more a few days later.

I've heard bulls make a coughing sound and grunt, but never heard one roar like that morning! Safe to say I almost needed new hunting pants. It was almost like a bear roaring, been hunting for 15 years and have never heard that.

Anyone else ever have a similar experience?
I remember reading a story once about a moose charging and kinda roaring.
coincidince.....I purposely overheard a couple of guys talking and they said that when a bull roars..he's very piZZed and in the process of making a charge!!

as I heard their scenario..

... these guys had a caller set up on one side of a little clearing at the edge of a large bog.
Hunter A was using a bow...his partner was sitting on a pack stool with the electronic caller beside him. Hunter A was 30 yds away in front of the caller. They had 2 responses from 2 bulls...one in front of hunter A....the other one was kinda far off behind the caller. Not paying too much attention to the moose behind the caller, they were concentrating on hunter A getting his in range. When that moose was 50 yds out...the other bull behind the caller had gotten to within 10 yds or so UNNOTICED...nuthin cracking and no grunting...all of a sudden, he started to grunt like crazy

...after 15 or 20 seconds of that he let out a roar and charged the caller. The caller jumped out of his stool and stumbled over some rocks and fell down beside it. The moose almost railroaded him over !!! Freaked the livin chit outta him and in the meantime startled the crap outta hunter A ....annnnd to add insult to the fright, scared the intended target moose! No shot was taken in all this fracas, and the callers stool got knocked over by the moose...he passed by within a few feet..steam out of his nostrils!!
He said the roar sounded more like a RED STAG bellowing !! First time ever for these long time moose hunters.

that's all I know about the mooses roar.