View Single Post
Old 02-26-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Gill View Post
Not going to do a darn thing differently.
I remember the 1973 oil shock/recession; the 1981 recession when the BoC overnight rate broke 20% for the first and only time in our history, when CSBs were yielding 19% because the government was pretty much broke and 1/3 of people in the three western provinces were on some form of social assistance; the 1990-1991 Gulf War oil shock/recession; the 1998 oil shock; the Latin America currency crisis; the Asia currency crisis; the 2001 911 shock; SARS; the 2008-9 recession.
Learned a long time ago to live within my means, hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Paid off all of my debts, resolved to not borrow for anything I want, and not want anything I didn't need.
Kinda wish governments and public-sector unions might get the gist of that too, but not much chance of that I imagine.

One thing different now: I have the financial capacity to help out family & close friends who are struggling through no fault of their own. That makes me feel like what I learned and what my parents taught me had a reason, and that's a good thing.

Once this is all over though, I'll have a lot of money to spend on expensive whiskey & cheap women. The rest I'll just waste.
Student of Dave Ramsey?