Thread: Browning AB3
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 09:08 AM

I don’t own one but have handled them, for me it would depend on the price. They offer some decked out versions and for the price of those I would say spend a tiny bit more and get something nicer (X bolt or Tikka). But depending on the price of just a plain Jane normal one I would say it might make a good beginner rifle. I have owned many bolts actions, some lower end ones and some more expensive ones. I don’t think the lower end ones make great beginner rifles (Savage Axis, Ruger American). Things I don’t like about them is they sacrifice features. The Axis has a horrible bolt lift and being a 90 degree lift, an inexperienced beginner will most likely mash their thumb between the bolt handle and the scope. I don’t like (for a beginner) that on the Axis and American that the safety doesn’t lock the bolt. If the bolt get lifted up during handling, a beginner may not notice and the gun will fail to fire when the trigger is pulled. I can’t speak for the Remington 783, but if the safety doesn’t lock the bolt, I don’t like it for beginners either. The more things that don’t move, the better it is for a beginner. Now, my concerns of the bolt being lifted unbeknown to the operator really only apply a for hunting. If you are looking for a target shooting rifle, it doesn’t really matter. All that said, the AB3 does lock the bolt when the safety is engaged, and has an unlock button. As I said, for me price would be the deciding factor.