View Single Post
Old 09-26-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Bush league,

The log piles all where charred logs. Not saying that Mitsue does not grind through alot of wood, but this burn area had charred stumps all over the place.

Most modern harvest programs are small tracts of trees with lots of connection to other stands.

You only see cut blocks stretching in excess of a mile in any direction, and probably alot further, when there is a salvage log program after a fire.

Forestry LOVES post fire salvage log. No stumpage, take it ALL down, no de limbing, etc.

Now the interesting thing about the Muskeg fires. Up in the High Level fire, the peat was so dry that it was burning and really was hard to fight as it was underground.

In some places, 4 feet of dried peat burned out completely changing the topography of the land as it was now mineral soil and ash, which is sterile for plants. That means it will be a long time before trees can re establish.

These peat fires removed the plant mass that stored the water on the ground at High Level, so now the water will run where before it was trapped.

I did not hear if the Skeg in 542 had dried out that thoroughly as it did in High Level, but it will change the area for decades around high Level, and I bet around 542.

It can take thousands of years for a muskeg to build to be 4 feet of peat moss.

Drewski
With all due respect, this is no longer true. The logging industry claims that it is "simulating a forest fire" with these bigger cutblocks, SRD is onboard with reducing edge habitat due to it "hurting song bird populations". There may be other reasons, but that is the one that I was quoted when I asked why SRD is letting the mills make cutblocks that one can not even see across, and not just for salvage.