View Single Post
Old 09-25-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
As for 542, just drove from 88 to Wab on 742 last week.

You do know that most of this area burned in May? You do know that where it was muskeg a lot of that burned right down because it was tamarack? You do know that the high ground that has burned has been salvaged logs for MILE AND MILES?

Yes, it is a barren pasture and the salvage loggers have built roads and trails and have easily taken out 15 miles of Spruce and Poplar along 742 and they are not stopping. No idea how far north they went, but it will be massive to the north as long as there is harvestable timber.

Interesting thing is how fast the saplings came up in the burn over areas, but you could not hide a deer in there and there are a lot of places you can glass over 1 mile radius.

Even before the burn, there was not a lot of moose in 542. Had a tag, and drove early November in fresh snow from the night before, straight north to the Nipisi pipeline (East - west to Wabasca) and beyond. Skeg was froze good and I could run the quad anywhere.

120 km and no moose tracks.

Last time I was there and I won't return.

Drewski
Thank you, that about sums up the situation, however on a year this wet the skeg often doesn't really freeze up well. Last time I drew a tag in 542 was on a year much like this, there were pockets of standing water for most of November, mostly I just fought with the quad.

The other thing to realise, is that a good deal of that clearcutting that you saw on the Wab highway happened before the burn. We have 4 mills in Mitsue, all of them are producing 3-4x what they were 10 years ago. Burn or no burn, in another 10 years I'm pretty sure you will have hardly any mature forest, right from Red Earth to Whitecourt.