View Single Post
Old 12-14-2018, 07:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JareS View Post
Man was I ever born in the wrong time!

It wasn't a cake walk in that time though, thats for sure. My Ukrainian ancestors who came here across the Atlantic lost of one the children to an illness on the way over, as did many others on the overcrowded boats
A lot of homesteaders back then spent at least one winter living in what they called a dugout. Which was usually just a hole dug into a sidehill with the opening covered with logs or buffalo or moose hide with an opening for access.

Seems to me that would pretty much be like living in a bear den. Tough tough living conditions.

It was also a very long time ago. My folks remember it but I don't, and even they were pretty young when it was happening.

I know more about the equipment of the day. We used some of the more recent of that equipment. It was hard labor open to the elements, dust, bugs and nothing was hydraulic or padded.

Horses and equipment could be dangerous and stubborn. Clothing was often thread bare and very basic. Water only ran when junior was in a hurry to get his chores done. And medical help was non existent in most places.

Yeah land may have been free for a time, but it took a lot of hard work and hard living conditions to gain anything from that opportunity.

George Bernard Shaw