View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 08:40 AM

I was thinking a thread like this is needed last night. We have threads about sd, bc. The latest and greatest this and that and technical details that just get on people’s nerves quoting each other and calling each other out.

Cat has said throughout some of those threads, just shoot what you have and don’t worry about what’s new. It makes no difference for 99% of us.

I’ll start. My first rifle was a .30-06. The older guys I hunted with used .30-06 and .270s for deer. My grandfather always thought the .308 win was more powerful than his .30-06. That was the extent of their knowledge. They knew what they had worked and they didn’t bother reading into it anymore than that.

The other old timer I hunt with uses a .270 bar and it maybe shoots 2” plus groups now. He has had that single big game rifle his whole life and shot lots of groundhogs with it too. For our close range hunting here it is accurate enough for another 50 years worth of shooting.

I chose a .30-06 to start with too because of the old timers. It was my first rifle. It was a mistake for me at the time due to the recoil in a 7.25lb scopes rifle but I have overcome that and it has never let me down.

Most of us shoot within probably a few hundred yards? any any bullet choice will work if it’s designed for the game. Round nose, flat base, boat tail, plastic tip.. Suitable bullet with a suitable shot on the game within reasonable range = meat in the freezer