View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I picked up a Browning hells canyon speed in 26 nosler yesterday and during barrel break in and sight in I noticed it really likes nòsler 142gr LRAB's. A little better then a 1" group at 200 yards. I'm figuring on running it across a chronograph today. If I were to match the speed with the same bullets would I be able to achieve the same accuracy?

Thanks.
Actually, same bullet, at the same velocity and COAL and you will likely be very close to the same group you are getting with the factory ammo. The harmonics of a barrel is the result of the bullet passing through it at a specific speed and pressure. If you are using the same bullet, at the same velocity you will likely be very close to the same pressure as the factory load. Ergo, groups should be very close. May be able to improve the group by going up and down .2 grain at a time around that node, and COAL adjustments may improve it as well, but if you load it to same COAL as factory, with same bullet and speed you will be very close to the group the factory ammo is giving you. I have done this with a number of different rounds, particularly 7x57 and 257 Weatherby. In both of those specifically the factory ammo would shoot under 1/2" at a hundred yards.

Would love to hear how you make out.