View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryDan View Post
Hey everyone and thanks in advance for the advice and apologies for the long read.

I’ve been trying to get into hunting the last 5 years but getting married, moving a couple times and having a kid have all knocked it down the list. I’m hoping next year is the year and am already starting to plan things out for next fall. First step is getting a rifle!

Budget is on the smaller side, looking at around ~$1000 for gun and optics.

I want something that’s fairly versatile as deer, elk and moose are all on my wish list and at least for the first couple years I’ll likely only have the one rifle.

I’m a lefty (also left eye dominant) and my experience with firearms is restricted to a lot of .223 and 12 gauge shooting. I’m fairly small framed (5’10” - 160lb) and ideally would like a rifle on the lighter side.

I’ve had a recent shoulder injury and, while hopeful that everything will heal up as good as new, ideally the cartridge would be lighter on the recoil side.

I’ve done a bunch of reading on various calibers but would love some recommendations from people that actually hunt where I live!
Keep your eye open for a used tikka t3 or browning xbolt in 7-08 or 308 in the buy and sell on this forum. They both manufacture left hand models and sell on here fairly regularly. Regarding your shoulder I would consider staying away from really lightweight as they will thump you more.