View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I am a bit old school when it comes to hunting cartridges for big game, mostly because of the averages distances that deer and moose etc are taken at.
I like a heavy for caliber style of weight, and a 30 with 180 grains works well, but so does 165 grains.
My custom built hunting rifle uses bullets fro 174 to 215 grain bullets and although slow when compared with many of today's modern cartridges, it drops stuff with authority.
A 308 or 708 would be a good choice IMO.

Cat
Bang on no pun intended,a 30.cal 165 is very versatile round for anything with hooves,my go to with.30-06 since forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
30 cal with a proper weight bullet is an excellent choice if used at the appropriate distances for the cartridge velocity.

An archery arrow approximately 475 grains with 1.5 inch cutting diameter penetrates and causes damage in a different manner than bullets, and doesnt have much value in comparing rifle cartridges.
Not to argue how archery tackle effectively kills vs the shock and awe of bullets,but even a .223 at typical archery range <50 yards will deliver far more trauma then any broadhead.