View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 06:34 AM

Default Shotshell reloader.

I started with a Lee Load all and soon went to a MEC. I still have and use it, a pre '82 model 600 Jr.

It really depends on how much you load and how much time you want to spend reloading.

I would suggest, as in above post, for your entry level choice that you consider the MEC Steel Master, if you are going to load steel.

For lead, at low volume, the LEE Load All is a low cost easy to use machine. It's advantage is that it can handle a wide variety of hull/wad combos without much fuss. Moving up, I would bypass the 600 Jr. not because there is anything wrong with it, but the Sizemaster is a good upgrade.

Consider your reasons for wanting to reload carefully, non-toxic shot has changed the game considerably. I still reload, because I have the machines. If I didn't have the equipment, I doubt if I would start, unless there was some compelling reason to do so. In the '70s I did a bunch of skeet shooting and factory ammo was expensive, components were cheap, lead shot was plentiful and cheap, and you could load lead for waterfowl.

If your game is to load small quantities of specialty loads like slugs and low recoil loads for youngsters or low pressure loads for a vintage shotgun, get the LEE Load All and buy your other ammo.

The progressives turn out ammo like crazy, I don't have one and have never used one, but back in the day, P-W was the king. The thing about a progressive is that once it is set up, you cannot change any component without setting it up again. One set-up, one load, no changes.