View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Anybody?
I got you man

You’ll tell me how big these deer were, likely the small side of class 2, you’ll tell me the range the were typicall shot at, kill zone aimed for...

And I’ll tell you exactly why the 22 mag did the trick in this very niche application. And it has nothing to do with energy. With that s.d. And impact velocity you will get a certain depth of penetration and just adequate temp/perm wound cavity. Maybe 8” for hypothetical guess at 75 yards...bear with me...

However for standard big game hunting we look for say 14-16” penetration in class 2 game out to 300 yrds or more. And say 18-22” penetration on class 3 game. So you need more s.d. And more impact velocity to do those things we ask most often for big game cartridges/bullets...with that we’ll get more than adequate temp/perm wound cavities. Energy means nothing, it’s there, but is not a factor. Penetration is a product of s.d. And impact velocity...and of course assuming you’re using a bullet designed for the job. In our case killing big game.

A .223 rem would likely only take me half as far as I’d rather be prepared for but certainly more than enough for some closer ranges. The .22-250 would take me far enough in most cases.