View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
I agree completely. I don't shoot trap very often, and certainly not enough to get into loading shotgun shells. I just buy the Federal target loads for general use on grouse, some casual clay shooting and for the shotgun parts of 3-gun matches.

I suspect that if I tried handloads for some of these, I would be spoiled. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make in a cylinder bore tactical style shotgun for 3-gun, but it would be interesting to try.
The big difference you would find would be between a 7/8oz load and a 1 1/8 factory load as far as recoil and repeated sight picture goes - lots easier to keep the bead where it is supposed t0 be when you are recoiling lighter!
For the ocasional round of skeet or trap, no, not a lot of difference except i the recoil.

To gear up for a flat of ammo a year is not really cost effective, but when you are shooting high volume, yup.

I was talking to a fella at the range the other day, his son
( a member here) at one time was doing the ATA circuit and shooting a real hot load, one that I could not shoot myself, and to buy them would be special order.
My load is not available on many store shelves either, it is a lighter load that
is 24 grams.

That is the nice thing about hand loading, plus it is very relaxing after a hrad day at work or early in the morning with a cup of coffee and CKUA on the box!
Cat