View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 07:20 AM

Makes sense!
Just wasn't sure what was meant by the relationship of a Fall pup and swimming. I would still disagree with your assessment regarding the two style of Labs. My hunting partner and I have one of each, mine is a pure breed English style Lab, while his is a Pure breed American style . Although they both are excellent hunters, there is no doubt as to which lab is bigger , stronger and faster or more Athletic if that is more a suitable term. His Lab will launch itself into the water ., while mine will eagerly go in and retrieve , but takes at least twice the time. My observation is that the shorter stature of the English style does not permit the speed or agility in the water compared to her American Buddy. Not to say that she is not a capable swimmer, just comparing the two , there is a massive difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
English Labs generally have better under coats and are just as capable if not stronger swimmers than their American cousins. The under coat of the English Lab aids in buoyancy and heat retention. The logic of breading for a finer coat in American dogs is to allow the dog to stay cooler when upland hunting. They are generally faster on land.

There is absolutely no relationship between love of water and date of birth.