View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I just think it would be a good job for me. Lots of freedom, dont always have a boss looking over your shoulder or testing you, and I like driving.(Have been across Canada four times and the States once) On top of that you get a bit of exercise moving the livestock in/out of the truck, and get to meet lots of good people.

My biggest concern is how does it effect my family? Will I be able to pay the bills starting out? Eventually I'd like to get to O/O and run my own truck running cows, hay, and grain. But to start out I think its smarter to drive someone elses truck and learn the ropes.

Any comments you guys have on running livestock, or trucking in general, Im all ears. I have a pretty good job right now, so I want to make a informed decision before making the switch.
Unless you can do it part time I can't see you having lots of freedom. Not a lot of exercise loading and unloading, and that is actually a pretty dangerous part of the job. Lots of people have been seriously hurt doing that. Especially if you are new to cows, and when you are tired, cold, and behind schedule. Hauling hogs is a lot safer, but is something I personally didn't enjoy doing at all.

Maybe try calling a company near you and see if you can do a couple ride alongs. That way it will give you a better idea.