Thread: Going for Gold
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 10:27 AM

Default Going for Gold

So I've had quite a few people want me to guide them in somewhere for a chance at catching Golden Trout, so I finally got off my butt to go check things out at Barnaby/Southfork Lakes, so I could get the lay of the land. Also added Castle Wildland Provincial Park to my guiding permit this year.

My wife Deb, Heavy_K, and I went in this past Saturday so that we could be ready to go for opening day (which was yesterday - Sunday). We were definitely shocked to see how busy it actually was (with at least 10 other people fishing - and quite a few people scrambling)! There were a couple of guys on Saturday poaching, and even had a fire during the fire ban (found their smouldering fire pit)! Unfortunately, I wasn't about to say anything, as one of the guys was packing a rifle ... SUPER disappointing to see all of the disrespect for such a beautiful area! Evidence of poaching, tons of garbage, fire pit scars everywhere! I'm glad the designation has changed to a Wildland Provincial Park. Maybe now it will get a little more attention (the good kind). The COs were up Sunday doing compliance checks. Too bad they weren't up there Saturday (unfortunately they can't be every where all the time).

Anyway...

Here is a view of Castle Ski resort from the hike in.

Lower Southfork Lake (Middle Lake if you count Barnaby as one of the Southfork Lakes)

Gold status achieved (here are some photos of the first few landed)!

All in all it was a great trip, albeit with EPIC wind and EXTREMELY picky fish.

Can't wait to get in there again!

Peter

-Confucius