View Single Post
Old 06-26-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Baum View Post
I bought an 8' Cascade Tenkara rod from Tenkara Rod Company out of Idaho, USA. I bought it for fishing small, tight trout streams.

I HATE it. I absolutely hate it and I'm selling it immediately. While it does set up pretty quickly, it is really a pain in the ass to move from spot to spot on the water. You have 15' or so of line/tippet coming out of the top of the rod and nowhere to go with it if you just want to move up 25m or 50m upstream. So you kind of fold it over on itself a few times so it isn't dragging or catching tree limbs or bushes as you walk up. Well when you get to your spot you have to be extremely careful to let go of and unfold the line right or it knots up. I suppose you could hand wind it on the spool each time you move but that wastes considerable time.

Also, the set length of line really limits your fishing. Instead of being able to cast up into a pool, you have to get much closer and risk spooking the fish. I know that can be sporting for some people, but I like being able to fish a long pool from bottom to top in succession without moving and risking spooking the fish.

Other than taking the tenkara setup on a work trip or motorbike as mentioned below, or some other reason you would be extremely limited in the gear you bring, I don't see a single scenario where Tenkara has any advantage over rod/reel fly fishing. It was fun to try and I landed a few brook trout but I just don't see the point.
I had probably one of the first Tenkara USA rods in Candada (it was a 12ft Iwana) when Daniel Galardo first started importing them into US/Canada.

Im same as A-Baum there a bit of fun till novelty wears off which it did fairly fast. I had all the same troubles as above and then some.