View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Not sure what kind of country you are hunting, but after many years of hunting all kinds of country here's about the best rule of thumb I've found...

You are almost always looking for the feature that is in the shortest supply... If you are in steep country look for flat spots, if you are in flat land look for hills and ridges, if you are in dry country look for water, in open country look for trees... this will more or less put you in the right general area and you can then start closing in on the sweet spot a little more.

My general rule of thumb for finding the sweet spot is finding where the most positive features meet, a steep ridge bordering on an old oxbow pond near that magical line where coniferous and deciduous forests meet for instance... your bound to find yourself "on the spot" if you explore an area like that.
I am new at this as well. I spent a few weekends out scouting and did not see what I was looking for (Mullies). How does Cattle at Large factor into that, ie: if I am near (1-2 Kms) from where a decent amount of cattle are grazing ( or have been recently), will that affect the chances? I amazes me how far back signs of cattle can be found. PS. I am looking in 404.