View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
"Kyle Brodziak will not play another NHL game due to a back injury."

Unfortunate circumstances for Kyle, but it would appear a spot opened on the Oilers yesterday.

Also not sure how it all affects the cap, but the Oilers are now paying Brodziak, Lucic, Pouliot, Gryba, and Sekera a combined $6.03M and none of them are playing. I think this year is going to be similar to last year, but it may get interesting next year and hopefully Holland can bring his A game. Just a quick run down, 10 players are going to UFA and 4 are going to UFA with a projected cap space of approx. $25M.
Injured players will get placed on LTIR(Long Term Injured Reserve) which will make their salaries not count against the cap saving that money until they return. There are several rules around this and I don't know all the ins and outs, but Brodziak is a cap hit of 1.15 Million if he is placed on LTIR and misses the whole season his 1.15 million does not count against the cap. If he comes back 1/2 way through then his cap hit is half.

Some teams do not put players on the LTIR as they need the cap hit to make the floor. that's why some teams have traded for Guys like Pronger who they knew were never going to play again.

I also know you can retro activate people onto LTIR, not sure if that works exactly the same way.

Anyone who is part of a buyout or trade where you have retained salary counts against your cap and no way around it.