View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 08:38 PM

Really the possibilities are endless. I fish quite a range from small streams to large rivers to lakes for trout and pike with the odd salmon trip thrown in on quite a few different weights of rods and don't always have a fresh tapered leader. 3 different appropriate weights of line will usually turn over nice in most situations but there are recipes out there for 5 or 6 different weights of very specific line on a 12 to 15ft leader. Really fast pocket water dry fly in the wind may call for an extremely short leader with only a tapered butt section and tippet. Deep nymphing may call for a long mid section of flouro and flouro tippet. Every situation is different but yes you can get by carrying around a handful of spools of different weights of line. My butt section is usually a tapered 3x which has been shortened over time. Mid section 10 lb mono for dry, 6lb flouro for wet and tippet really specific for what you are doing. For pike its just a short section of 15 lb flouro (yes I loose the odd fly to teeth) down to 6x mono for delicate dry fly trout. My buddies laugh at the many spools in my kit but I can patch together a leader for most situations.