View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 11:10 AM

Default Black Bear woundings

Haveing worked in a bear camp for many years,and help skin many hundreds of bears,I came to the conclusion that for the most part the woundings were not the fault of the hunter or the rifle.It was caused by reflexive conditioning.Most clients were veteran hunters,some internationally.And for the most part meat hunters.So you shoot a moose,deer caribou etc,beyond the shoulder in the lungs ,They drop like a rag doll.This is not the case with a black bear.They can run a good distance,in extreme thick brush,with the blood trail drying up,mortally wounded.So whats the answer,of course we had a shooing range on site with tree stands,and targets at the average shooting distance.This didnt help.So we came up with an idea.I sawed out of plywood a full size black bear,and of course painted it black.When the hunted finished siteing in,I would ask the hunter to shoot my full size bear,at close range they laughed.Except high on the shoulded I had cut a small hole,and behind a piece of white paper--Now you must not hit my plywood--Thats how you drop a bear in his tracks.The number of bear woundings were reduced from that day forward by a very wide margin,compared to pass seasons.