View Single Post
Old 03-10-2021, 10:18 AM

Default Buyers vs auction

Just gonna throw my 2c into this.

I find sending fur to auction can be a bit of a gamble, generally speaking it is better money then selling to most fur buyers. Selling to a buyer you do have the option of saying no i do not agree to said price and you can walk away. The auction could sell your fur for pennies and there is nothing you can do but cash your pennies.
In theory if all of our fur went to auction then that's where all the buyers would have to go and we as the trappers would hope for the highest possible prices. I see a need for both.
My hesitation with auctions has came since nafa fell out and for some reason just before they fell out I sold my fur to a buyer for the first time and did very well. Before things went sideways everyone was predicting record prices and i was regretting my decision but once things fell out I didnt regret it at all.
I prefer the fur buyer route now because of the uncertainty of the auctions especially being online and if I don't like the price for my furs i can say no where with an auction you are at the mercy of what the bid lands at. At the moment i do have a handful of coyotes, beavers and rats in the April auction but i did sell over 60% of my fur to a buyer due to the uncertainties and i was happy with the price i got from the fur buyer.

I do hope the best for the fur market but things are whack right now and I am a firm believer in not having all my eggs in one basket.