View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
I live on Vancouver island and our rivers get multi species of fish from trout , salmon and steelhead. I use a 2-3 weight 11 foot and there is a few reason I use the 11 foot . One is extension and direct contact is crucial on extended drifts . I have been nymphing for cuttys in November and have had by catches of coho , biggest I’ve landed on my euro rod is 8 1/2 lbs and yes it has the backbone to handle the fish.
Reels- I use a closed reel made for tight lining . I use a very thin nymphing line and it could on a open reel slide out of the reel and cost you a fish.

I’ve read posts here about they use a 5 weight 9 foot rod for nymphing and they catch fish but you have no idea how many fish you missed because you didn’t feel it. Yes it is trending right now but out of my experience you can’t use one rod to do everything. I fish open water 12 months a year and after coverting to a proper rod my results have drastically improved
Im with ya. i used a 9' 5wt. Yes i would catch fish but the sensitivity in a euro specific rod took my catch rates to another level. the feel in the euro rod is definitely noticeable (and im not even using a high end euro rod)