View Single Post
Old 01-01-2021, 10:11 AM

Default Euro Nymphing Rod

Hi All!

Going to be trying a little euro nymphing this year and am using it as an excuse to get a new fly rod. I think I am going with a 10' but have a couple questions:

1. Home water is brown trout country near Sundre, which I'll be fishing smaller Red Deer River tributaries the majority of the time. I will probably pack the rod along for trips to the Oldman, Crow, etc... I've been reading 2-3 wt is ideal for contact nymphing with the sensitive tip. I think I can get away with the 2 wt. Any advice there? Should I bump up to a 3 wt to sacrifice some sensitivity but able to pull the fish in easier? It looks like euro nymphing is a small fish/high quantity ordeal and I have larger rods to huck dries and streamers.

2. The reel doesn't seem to be as important with euro nymphing since its just the leader/tippet and short casts. Can I cheap out a bit with the reel/fly line and spend more on the rod?

3. I'll probably go TFO, I like there rods and warranty, especially the fact they are right in Calgary. Looking at the TFO Stealth. Any comments on this particular model or any feedback on other contact nymphing specific rods?

Thanks All!