View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 12:38 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchsl View Post
I tried my best sheep, and as I read from all the studies damage to the brain and internal organs did occur. I didnt claim nor do I want to be an authority, Im not a balistician nor a surgeon or scientist. The main regions of the brain that are influenced are the hippocampus and the hypothalamus. Although the previous controls mostly memory and spacial orentation, the hypothalamus is one of the most active and important parts of a mamals brain. Its part of your limbic system, concerned primarily with homeostasis and your autonomic nervous system. It also directly relates to the pituitary gland, and with these things not functioning, death is eminent especially after the surge of adrenaline associated with post trauma like a gunshot wound.
I know I dont understand all of these things, its a complex subject with many variables. Im only trying to share what I do. If there is something I have interpreted incorectly in your opinion, I am always willing to listen and discuss. Im on the topic now, and would like to learn untill my patients or capability to do so is exhausted. Dont take this offensivley, I just want explanation for what I dont grasp.

I think what you are failing to grasp is the degree of the injury to the brain and other internal organs. Damage does not equate to death. Most often damage is very temporary and most definitely not fatal. While you are tossing around a lot of big words, you are failing to grasp to very basic premise which is the degree of remote wounding. In most cases it's temporary and definitely not fatal. Holes can and most definitely do kill on their own...energy very very rarely can. It can cause a lot of temporary disruption to the nervous system and some remote wounding, neither of which is very often deadly.