View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 10:52 PM

I don’t think it really makes a whole lot of difference?
I think cadence and putting some emotion into our calling is more important then what some mass manufacturer of commercial calls slaps on it for a label.
I have somewhere around 20 lung powered hand calls,around 50/50 between commercial and custom made calls
,closed reeds/open reeds/cowhorn howlers/metal reeds/double reeds etc...and I’ve used them all successfully at one time or another over the last 30 years,some more then others as I tend to have a few favourite/go-to calls that I blow with confidence.....and just recently bought my first ever e-caller,Primos Dogg Catcher....mostly cuz I really liked the coyote serenade,but I found the baby jack sounds closest to any authentic snowshoe hares that I’ve heard whining in real life.
I would say if you are hunting the prairies and your jackrabbit call gives you the most confidence,then giver’......but jack or cottontail or snowshoe or wutever label some factory wants to put on it,I don’t think it really matters,coyotes hear an animal in distress,the aren’t that picky about what species produces their next meal imho.