View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 06:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
The scope is a Bushnell sharpshooter. You can tell because of the American style fixed focus ocular piece. Also, banners are shaped differently and say banner in gold letters around the objective end. The Bushnell sharpshooter is not sold retail. Its a crappy, crappy oem only product.

My edge had a misaligned barrel/receiver which meant that in order to get the rifle to bore sight at 100 yards the elevation had to be absolutely maxed and they let it leave the factory like that.

I fixed it by shimming the rear base and lapping the rings to that angle but the crappy aluminum base screw stripped in the process.

All in all, the savage 111 is vastly superior craftsmanship and design. It has an adjustable trigger which I brought down to about 2-3lbs. Adjustable with one turn of a screw and a few drop/slam fire tests.

It has no plastic working parts like the magazine release.

The recoil pad is easily replaceable with aftermarket options unlike the bizarrely installed Axis' recoil pad.

Each caliber in the 111/11 is manufactured for rather than having a universal magazine, stock, receiver, etc as it is on the Axis.

That's why the trigger guard is separate from the stock on the axis, to adjust the size of the mag well. Why would anyone want such a huge bolt throw and receiver and scope base muting length for something like a 223 or 308? It completely defeats the purpose.

Even if I ignore the problems with my specific gun, the axis cuts just a few too many corners to reach rock bottom dollar. The 111 seems to be the perfect compromise between cost and quality while still maintaining a certain minimum level of the latter. The Axis crosses the line from 'simply designed, good value' to 'cheap'.

Does that answer your question?

Note, on my Axis, I upgraded the scope to a banner and on my 111 to a Elite 3200 using Burris Z-Rings.

Also, Simmons was bought by Bushnell before the Axis made it to market so no Axis has ever shipped with a Simmons. Some of the older 111 packages have, though. Absolutely no current ones do.
Thanks, that is some good info there. I completely agree with you on the 111 vs Axis comparison myself. My reasons for choosing it over the 111 and stevens 200 I already outlined. So far mine has been good enough that I dont regret it but other than my particular situation I cant think of any good reason not to get a 111 instead.

Last edited by Cal; 10-05-2011 at 06:10 AM.