Thread: Horseshoe
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 06:45 AM

Default Horseshoe

This year has been a year of first for us .. caught more coyotes than any previous years and had a pile of fun . Got to watch my first coyote get caught in a snare and yesterday another first .
I used the quad because snow was too hard to drive for the truck to check , quad mainly goes over the top . Checked my first bait site and no luck so on to the last one .
Driving the top edge of the river bank I can clearly see that there is nothing in first 3 snares across the river , so proceed another 200 yds to where I park and have to walk down . Drag a little more bait in to the pile as the dogs have finally made it in to the pile after 6 weeks . I see in passing a couple of sets that one is holding a dead coyote on a hillside trail . I get my bait piled up , check rest of the snares and set 3 on new trails in . No more victims so I remove the dead one , reset and start back for the quad .
I load all my gear and start back for the truck following the trail I came in on and as I pass by the first 3 snares I glance that way and am shocked to see a dead coyote in one of them . I stop the quad in disbelief and check it out with my binos as I dont trust my eyes at this point ... Yup I've got one !
So back I go to the parking spot , head down and take him out and reset , he's still warm so no mistake about the quick catch . Perfect shape as well . . Reset the spot as there is little disturbance and back to the quad all the while thinking no one is gonna believe this one .
Ive spent about an hour in this location rebaiting , setting new snares and checking the old ones and in that time a coyote has come in behind me and got caught within 400 yds . A friend asked if I was getting tired of sitting on the horse shoe ... nope I'm just enjoying the ride .