View Single Post
Old 10-28-2017, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
I agree, and further submit that groups are also a poor method to begin load development for shorter range use.

Many here seem to confuse ladder and group testing.

Good Luck, YMMV.
You are right in that groups are a poor method to "begin" load development at any range as you will burn up a lot of components unless you get lucky. I believe that people confuse ladder testing and group testing, as you suggest, and overlook the usefulness of the ladder test as they dismiss it without fully understanding how to use it. I will attempt to better explain what I learned from the ladder test and how it led to the 4 groups that I shot and what I can read from them as far as how they will perform out to 500 yards which is what the load is designed for. I did not use a chronograph in this ladder but the Lab Radar
would have confirmed, as it did in Targets#2 , the moderate pressure increases from shot#1-#4 and the pressure spike (39fps) at shot #5 followed by a very moderate velocity increase with shot#6. This pressure spike indicated that the Rem brass was getting close to being fire-formed to my chamber and measurement of the Base datum showed only about 0.0002" spring-back from the chamber. This and primer flow of about 0.0025" indicated that I had reached my maximum for this load even though I had no sticky bolt lift or flattening of primers.

Looking at shots #1-6 there was only 0.1" vertical which told me that any of these shots would likely keep vertical POI to 1/2" at 500 yards. Shots #7,8 &9 (Full) showed that I had passed the potential with Varget but was still in the safe range with no pressure problems. Shots #4, 5 & 6 showed that these loads had the potential to shoot 0.3" groups at 500 yards. Target #3 confirms the potential 0.3" vertical to 500 yards but the ES may be a bit high to maintain that to 500 yards. This load will be on target with 3MOA to 300 and 8MOA to 500 and will surely take out a gopher or coyote. Hopefully Lee (triple duce) will get a chance to confirm this when he gets back from Kamloops. Good luck this weekend!