View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 01:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5x47 lapua View Post
Group shooting is not the way to develop long range loads no matter what discipline you shoot. Period.
The thread is about finding an accurate load. While many different approaches can be used the Audettet ladder test has been adopted by some. While I have used it I find that doing a pressure ladder using a single shot at each increment, as I have shown, works best for me. I have worked up a number of loads that shoot sub 1/2 MOA, mostly in wildcat cartridges that I have designed that have no manuals to follow, and do not run pressures that cause sticky bolt or blown primers.

It does not matter what discipline you shoot it is a fact that a load that will consistently shoot Sub 1/2 Moa groups will do better than one that won't do 1MOA groups. Combine that with a stable load, that consistently shoots a low Extreme Spread, especially if the Standard Deviation is in the single digits will do well at longer distances. Once a good load is established then it has to be tested to the maximum range it is going to be used to ensure that it remains stable. I have never had a good load, developed in this manner, that failed to perform at ranges that they were designed for. As well a good load will shoot well in most any rifle and I have many ladder targets, and follow up groups to illustrate that.

That being said I would be interested in finding out how you find a good load, especially for long range, without being able to shoot good groups at closer ranges.