View Single Post
Old 05-31-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Nube, your idea of selling tags has a lot of merit, and having residents be able to hunt Cows at the same time sounds like a not bad suggestion. One problem I see is the time factor. I thought the whole idea was to cull the herd as quickly as possible back to 200 from 600. Sounds like they are destroying the parks habitat more and more every day. You would need to sell a lot of tags very quickly. And in a hunt like that, wouldn't a non res need a guide or at least a host?
By the by, what do you think an Elk bull tag could go for? I can't see more then 10,000.00 a tag, when you consider that a non res can already hunt bull elk with a guide or host.
I'm guesstimating that you would have to sell 10 tags at 10,000.00 to hire, train and equip one CO for one year. Even if you sold 50 tags for 10,000.00 you would hardly make a dent in the 400 Elk that have to be culled. Even if you could sell the tag for 50,000.00, (which I doubt), it still wouldn't make a dent in the herd. Too much time and too little money raised.
Perhaps once the cull is finished you could sell a couple Bull Elk tags every year to raise some money.
The park is seperated into 2 areas. Sell 5 tags per side for bulls. Then draw the desired number of Cow tags to knock the numbers down a bit. I wouldn't go wipe them out all at once and do it slowly over 5 years.

If you think you could only get 10K per tag I think you would be mistaken.
I myself personally would take a loan out myself for 10K if I could kill one for that price. Where else would you have a chance to hunt 380+ bulls consistently for under 10K anywhere in the USA?
Then you also can Auction off a couple tags as well for $20 a ticket.....
Then the people who want meat can apply for cow tags to fill their freezers.

From what I read they are 400 elk over the number they want. I think they could take 100 cows easy enough for 5-6 years to get the numbers they want.
Thats a quick run down of an idea. I 'm sure it isn't a perfect idea but it's better than a free for all to wipe them all out