View Single Post
Old 12-06-2016, 09:02 AM

I have an larger otter and used it to drag my blind and hunting gear about a km to my site. Felt like the brakes were locked up. Almost had a heart attack. Stripped down to my long Johns for 20 minutes at - 15 at my destination. I made my own fog bank. I will be trying ski wax or Teflon next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I have thought about trying the ski/smitty sled route as I figure that would make it a fair bit easier pulling in substandard conditions.

One thing good to mention is that the higher quality more durable sleds like the otter pro sleds are really nice especially if you want to haul them behind a snowmobile or quad but if you have to pull them by hand any distance or through snow they are a beast when loaded with gear. I use a medium otter pro and fully loaded with tent, heater, flasher, fishing gear and some times sleeping gear it is almost unbearable to pull any significant distance. I also have a frabill recon tent/sled and used it this weekend and I liked it and it pulled easier being so much lighter but it would be useless behind a quad/snowmobile and would break/wear through in no time.

The smaller light duty sleds like a calf sled are much nicer if walking on, hardest part is figuring a way to fit all your gear in a small low wall sled.