View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbyfaith View Post
I am a huge fan of the TFO setups if you are buying your first outfit. The 5/6 wt with reel and line are fantastic.

They also come with the unconditional lifetime warranty, in case no one mentioned that...

No matter how you break it, they will give you a new section (identical to the part you broke) for about 35$ (processing fee). You can cash in on the warranty in Calgary as they have a small warehouse here in town- No need to send the broken rod out!

my two cents.

-J
I am a big fan of TFO as a starter package as well. Please realize that there is no warranty and that they sell you a part for $35 if you break it or just simply walk in and purchase.

A rod portion made off shore with the cheapest components available probably cost the company $10 or less.

But still the Signature Series is a nice rod and a very nice price. It gets you out on the water and allows you to discover what you do and don't want in a fly rod. The rod can then be sold with very little lost especially if you buy the set up used.

I would warn against purchasing any higher end rods until you find out the type of fishing you like to do and the action that best suits your casting style.

Winston, Redington and even Sage have some starter models that should be considered before making a purchase. I have a couple of Redington rods and the components are superior to the other offerings in their price range. One of my favorite rods is an RS4 4wt that I would put up against rods costing 3 times as much.