View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 11:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyisit73 View Post
what do you mean rub it in with a brush... I have borax at home but its grainular like dry laundry soap. Do you make a paste out of it Dave? Can you do it over the entire fur side?
Your Borax sounds good to use the way that it is.

Borax is a cleaning/drying agent and will absorb moisture from the air and become hard like sugar does. When it does I grind it up so it becomes more of a powdery substance. With the coyote pelt on a board I put enough Borax on it so it can be worked into the hair on the pelt. I use an ordinary bristle pet brush to work it into the hair right down to the hide using a back and forth and even gentle circular motion. Once you do the pelt you brush as much of it out as you can and flick the pelt to get it out. DON"T GET IT IN YOUR EYES! Probably not a good idea to breathe it in either. You can get most of it out but not all. Maybe a leaf blower would work well to get it out?

I don't use it as a paste and I generally use it on dry pelts but it can be used on wet ones as well. Try some on one of your red bellies and see how it whitens up the fur. Doing 12 whole pelts with it is a PITA and time consuming so I'd much rather just wash the pelts.