View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
If I were you I'd go with the 280 Remington with a 1:8 or 1:9 twist with a 26" barrel or if you don't want the extra 2 inches of length go with a longer throat so seat bullets further out giving you more powder to work with especially with the premium copper bullets coming out. I would choose the 150 TTSX with the high BC and retained energy, it would give you great performance to 500 yards for an all a rounder.

The faster twist will allow you to stabilize the long 175 grain TSX, 180 grain Bergers, and the 175 grain Sierra MatchKings if you ever choose to shoot them and it won't hurt anything on the lighter side. The 26" tube will allow you to get an extra 60 fps out of the possible 100 fps that the AI version would roughly give you. If you choose the long throat instead of the long barrel it would give you some more powder space, the only downside is it could be an all copper bullet gun in lighter bullets like the 110 or 120 grains and probably 140 conventional bullet and up - all depends on bullet length and how far it is to the lands. Each 0.1" you bump the lands out by you gain 1.6 grains of space. The max. I would bump it out by would be by 0.2" gaining yourself 3.2 grains (with magazine mod's). (The Nosler Partition 140 grain is 1.16" long, the Barnes TSX is 1.35" for a difference of 0.19".) The AI version would give you 4.7 extra grains. Hell you could even opt for a 1" longer barrel with a 0.2" extra jump to the lands and this would give you essentially a 280 AI. Keeping it a 280 would give you much more availability in picking up brass thats ready to go without having to fireform if 280 AI wasn't available. If I were to do it I would do it the last way, but your mileage may vary.
Nosler makes .280 AI brass....ready to go no fire forming. Fire forming is no big deal either. Just load some regular 280 cases with a light bullet seated into the lands with a med charge of faster powder like imr 4895 and away you go. I did this for mine and it was a piece of cake. Get the AI if that is what you want....you won't regret it.