View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 01:59 AM

Default Speed goat takes a speed nap

This is my third antelope hunt and definitely the most challenging. The two prior hunts were archery hunts and wow is there ever a difference from mid Sep to mid Oct. I couldn't keep them away from me in the archery season but merely looking in their general direction, from a mile away, was saying to them: run for our lives, real fast and real far

Left home on the 13th to set myself up in the hunting area...….solo and sleeping in truck. Took a walk out into the pasture and three shooters (all over 14") were looking down on me from a knob...150 yards away. They stayed long enough to give me a shot...but tomorrow the season opens.

I though I would be back home for supper on opening day.

It's tough to range on flat land, impossible I might add, a goat that presents itself for fleeting moments at what you think is 500 yards, and is moving further away...but just can't get the rf to lock onto anything...happened a few times.

I was stalking a bruiser and all the while I was thinking "I got this", only to never see him again.

I was running out of steam and living out of the truck for 5 days was taking the fun out of me. For four days I hiked the wilderness exploring, spotting, stalking and generally getting blown.

Called home and told her that I lost my mojo and was coming home a day early...……...goat or no goat.

So I did just that, but as fate would have it I was blessed with a young buck crossing my path at 400 yards, RANGED!!!. It would be the longest shot where I ever took down a game animal.

Oh yeah...it was breezy.

25.06 100GR Speer BTSP 57.7GR RL22